HISTORY

The Lutheran Church is a Protestant church that is based on the 16th century Reformation.

At the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, Lutheran missionaries came from Germany, Northern Europe and the United States to spread the Word of God in China. In northern China, and in the provinces of Shandong, Shanxi, Henan, Hebei, Hunan and Guangdong, they established churches, schools and hospitals. In 1920, the Chinese Lutheran Church was formed, along with a seminary and the Lutheran Publishing House.

The Lutheran Theological Seminary in Shekow, Hupei province, moved to Hong Kong in 1948, and was relocated on Tao Fong Shan in Shatin. As class after class of students graduated, the work of spreading the Gospel expanded throughout Hong Kong, Kowloon and the New Territories.

On Feb. 27, 1954, representatives from all the Lutheran congregations in Hong Kong gathered at Tao Fong Shan to formally establish the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hong Kong (ELCHK).

 

The Evangelical Lutheran Church Hong Kong